How It Works
The Moving Beyond the Page Online Spelling Program utilizes our Learning Gates quiz tool for spelling. A one-year license is available, and a single license can be used for multiple siblings in a family.
Your weekly spelling schedule is simple:
- First, set aside 30 minutes each week for spelling.
- Then ask your child to complete one quiz each week. He will have to spell all of the words correctly before he is finished.
- Finally, review any missed words with your child and reinforce any spelling rules that give your child problems.
This may seem like a short time to spend on spelling each week, but our program does what a traditional program does not. First, we don’t waste time on words that your child already knows how to spell. Second, we will review and reinforce the words that your child misses all year long. At the end of the year, your child will know how to spell every single word on our spelling list, not just the handful of words from the most recent test. Spending less time on spelling means you can spend more time on other aspects of writing — like word choice, interesting ideas, sentence fluency, and voice.
The Moving Beyond the Page online spelling program includes four different levels. These levels correspond to the different levels of our Moving Beyond the Page curriculum. Our spelling program has a heavy emphasis on the most commonly used words in the English language, because these are the words students are most likely to use in the future.
- Age 7-9: The Age 7-9 level includes about 250 words. Most students will be ready to begin this level in about the 2nd or 3rd grade. The primary focus is on the most common words in the English language, and it ends with a set of challenge words.
- Age 8-10: The Age 8-10 level includes about 400 words. This level continues the theme of common words in the first half of the year, but the second half of the year introduces students to a large variety of spelling patterns.
- Age 9-11: The Age 9-11 level includes about 350 words. This level also continues the theme of common words, but it also spends time on homonyms and contractions.
- Age 10-12: The Age 10-12 level includes about 300 words. In this level, students will be introduced to complex spelling patterns and commonly misspelled words.