Lesson 8: Deep Magic
Questions to Explore
- How do leaders use their power for good?
- How do evil leaders use their power?
Facts and Definitions
- There have been good and evil leaders throughout history.
- Identify author's use of figurative language. (LA)
- Identify the conflict of a story. (LA)
- Interact with text by locating information for specific purposes. (LA)
- Relate plot, setting, and characters to personal experiences and ideas. (LA)
- Conduct research for assigned projects. (LA)
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- colored pencils or markers
Tell your child to describe Aslan. Ask her if he resembles any other characters she has learned or read about in the past. Tell her that in today's chapters, something terrible happens to Aslan.
Materials: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, journalToday your child will read Chapters 13 and 14. Your child can answer three or four of the following questions in her journal. Use the remaining questions to aid in a discussion about the text.
- How was Edmund rescued from the White Witch? Aslan sent a rescue party.
- Do you think Edmund should have been rescued? Why or why not?Answers will vary.
- What did the White Witch tell Aslan about Edmund?Edmund was hers because he was a traitor.
- What was the "deep magic from the dawn of time?"It is something that governs all of Narnia and was written deeply into the Stone Table.
- What were the people's attitudes after the White Witch and Aslan's meeting? Why did they act this way even before they knew what was going to happen to Aslan?Everyone seemed quiet and sad. They might have felt that something bad was going to happen or have expected it because Aslan seemed so serious.
- Why do you think Lucy and Susan followed Aslan in the woods?Answers will vary.
- Why did Lucy and Susan cry when they were walking with Aslan? They knew he was sad, and they felt sorry for him.
- Why do you think Aslan did not attempt to escape the witch and her followers?Answers will vary.
- Why did the witch kill Aslan? He took the place of Edmund.