Lesson 4: One Million
Materials: fine point dry-erase markers (kit), whiteboard (kit)
Give your child the "Safe Crackers" activity page and ask him to follow the directions on it.
Student Activity Page
Next, give your child the whiteboard and a dry-erase marker, and tell her to write the following numbers as you dictate them:
- one million four hundred sixty-three thousand eight hundred seventy-two (1,463,872)
- three million one hundred thirteen thousand seventy-nine (3,113,079)
- two million six hundred sixty-five thousand three (2,665,003)
Now, pose the following questions as your child looks at the numbers she's written. As she answers each question, ask her to explain her thinking:
- Which number is the greatest? (3,113,079)
- Which number is the smallest? (1,463,872)
- Which number has a 1 in the ten thousands place? (3,113,079)
- Which number has a 6 in the hundred thousands place? (2,665,003)
- Which number is even? (1,463,872)
Have your child take the Learning Gates quiz for this lesson.