Lesson 2: Naming Fractions
Questions to Explore
- What is a fraction?
- What are the parts of a fraction?
- How do we write and speak in mathematical language?
Facts and Definitions
- Numerator: the top number in a fraction, how many parts of the whole you have or need
- Denominator: the bottom number in a fraction, the total number of equal parts in a whole
- Recognize parts of fractions: numerator and denominator
- Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts
- Understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/b
- A Fraction's Goal—Parts of a Whole by Brian P. Cleary
- colored pencils
- glue or glue stick
Your child will cut out the cards on the "Matching Fractions" sheet and then create pairs that show the same fractions.
"Matching Fractions" Answer Key