Lesson 5: Adding Within 1000
Questions to Explore
- What strategies can we use to add and subtract?
- How does place value work?
Facts and Definitions
- Multiples of 100: 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900
- Add and subtract within 1000
- Read and write numbers to 1000
- abacus (kit)
- base-10 blocks (kit)
- calculator* (Activity 4 - optional)
- deck of cards (kit)
- fine point dry-erase marker (kit)
- laminated grid paper (kit)
- place value cards (kit)
- whiteboard (kit)
* - denotes an optional material that may or may not be needed
Using the number generator at the following web link, set the generator to create one number between 100 and 900. Once your child is given the number, he will do the following with it:
- Add 10
- Add 100
- Subtract 10
- Subtract 100
Ask your child to repeat this process four more times.