Lesson 4: Animals Live and Grow
Questions to Explore
- How does the environment provide living things with what they need to live and grow?
- How do living things in an environment depend on one another?
Facts and Definitions
- Animals have basic needs for food (energy), air, water, and an environment in which to live.
- Animals depend on plants or other animals to provide them with energy.
- A consumer is an organism (living thing) that eats another organism.
- A living thing that is eaten by another organism is called an energy source.
- Summarize the needs of living organisms for energy and growth. (S)
- Summarize the basic needs of a variety of different animals (including air, water, and food) for energy and growth. (S)
- Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing Animal Habitats by Jim Arnosky
- Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner
- 2 carrots
- 2 spinach leaves
- paper towel
- sunflower seeds
Begin today's lesson by singing "The Habitat Song" your child learned at the end of the previous lesson.