Lesson 2: Numbers 1-5: Number Bonds
Questions to Explore
- How do we explain our thinking mathematically?
- How do we show the value of a given quantity?
Facts and Definitions
- A number (greater than 1) can be broken into parts.
- Base-10 blocks: blocks that represent numbers.
- Number bond: a picture that shows how the parts of numbers are related to the whole (part-part-whole relationship)
- Develop a plan for counting
- Use manipulatives and graphic organizers to show number values and solve problems
- base-10 blocks (kit)
- egg carton
- Interactive Notebook
- items to count
- laminated number bond (kit)
- mini marshmallows* (Activity 5 - optional)
- toothpicks* (Activity 5 - optional)
* - denotes an optional material that may or may not be needed
In this lesson, your child will learn how to use a number bond and base-10 blocks to represent a given number. Begin by asking your child to show you the numbers 1 through 5 using her fingers.