Lesson 1: Whatever the Weather
Questions to Explore
- How does the environment affect living things?
- Why does the weather change?
Facts and Definitions
- A meteorologist is a scientist who studies the weather.
- Describe weather using quantitative measures of temperature, wind direction, wind speed, and precipitation. (S)
- Identify and use common tools to measure weather: wind vane (wind direction), anemometer (wind velocity), thermometer, and rain gauge. (S)
- Gather information using simple equipment and tools. (S)
- The Kids' Book of Weather Forecasting by Mark Breen and Kathleen Friestad
- colored pencils or markers
Ask your child to brainstorm a list of all the words she can think of related to weather. Then ask her to explain how each word relates to weather. Explain that in this unit she will learn about the weather in the environment and how it affects living things.