Lesson 5: Turtles
Materials: Tornado by Betsy Byars, Doron Ben-AmiAsk your child to read Chapter 4 in the book and then ask her the following questions. Remind your child to answer in complete sentences.
- Where does Tornado get the turtle?Emma Lou left it out on the porch.
- Why does Tornado not listen to Emma Lou when she asks him to drop the turtle?She was not using the same voice as her father.
- How does Pete get the turtle out of Tornado's mouth?He says, using his father's voice, "Drop it!"
- Does Tornado know he is picking up a turtle? How do you know?Answers will vary.
- Why does Tornado run around the yard after he drops the turtle?Answers will vary.
Activity 1: Journal Entry
Materials: crayons or colored pencils, journal
Ask your child to write and illustrate his chapter summary in his journal.
Activity 2: Turtle Research
Give your child the page called "Turtle Research." Help him locate information about turtles in books and on the Internet. Tell him that many animals' designs help them to live in their environment. Help your child fill in the facts on the turtle's shell based on your research.