Lesson 5: Turtles
Questions to Explore
- How do people use stories to explain their environments?
- How are living things designed to live and grow in their environment?
Facts and Definitions
- A myth is a traditional story that can explain natural events.
- Compare language and oral traditions from different cultures. (LA)
- Read classic and contemporary works. (LA)
- Produce a summary of a text. (LA)
- How the Turtle Got Its Shell by Justine Fontes, Ron Fontes, and Keiko Motoyama
- Tornado by Betsy Byars, Doron Ben-Ami
- crayons or colored pencils
- egg carton
- green construction paper
- green or brown tissue paper
- paper bowl
Tell your child that in this chapter, Tornado has a meeting with a turtle. Ask your child what he knows about turtles and their habitats.