Lesson 1: States and Capitals
Review the state capitals and geographic regions of the United States.
Plan a trip to your state capital. Take a tour of the capitol building, the governor's mansion, and any other places you discover related to the government of your state.
Questions to Discuss
- What did you learn about the United States?
- In which region do we live?
- Do we have relatives in other regions? Which ones?
- Which regions would you most like to visit? Why?
- What are some things that make your state unique?
Things to Review
Review the regions of the states and the geographical regions of the country.
If possible, take your child on a day-long field trip to your state capital at some point during this unit. Visit the capitol building, the governor's mansion, and any other important buildings in the city related to the state.