Lesson 8: Customs and Holidays
Questions to Explore
- What roles do community members play?
- How are communities around the world similar and different?
Facts and Definitions
- On Memorial Day we remember and honor people who have died to serve and protect our country.
- On the Fourth of July we celebrate America's birthday, the day America became a country.
- Recognize and describe religious and secular symbols/celebrations associated with special days of diverse cultures (SS)
- Explore and cite reasons for observing special days that recognize celebrated individuals of diverse cultures around the world (SS)
- Recognize and describe the historical events associated with national holidays (SS)
- Trace the historical foundations of traditions in various neighborhoods and communities (SS)
- Use correct capitalization for proper nouns and at the beginning of sentences (LA)
- books about holidays
- colored pencils or markers
- construction paper
- picture of the American flag
Ask your child to name all of the holidays that he knows and to explain why they are each celebrated. Tell him that in America, we celebrate special holidays because of things that happened in our country. Then explain that people in other parts of the world celebrate their own special holidays.