Lesson 4: Wants and Needs
Questions to Explore
- What do communities provide for the people who live in them?
- What are the needs of people in communities?
Facts and Definitions
- Goods and services are what we buy to satisfy our wants and needs.
- A need is something we must have to be healthy or safe.
- A want is something we would like to have.
- Complete graphic organizers (LA)
- Examine wants and needs of people in a community (SS)
- Put numbers in sequential order (M)
- Identify examples of wants and needs (SS)
- Sort and classify objects (S)
- 2 pieces of construction paper in different colors
- books about other countries
- glue or tape
- magazines, catalogs, and newspapers
Ask your child to think about something he wants. Then ask him to think of something he needs. Ask him what the difference is between wants and needs. We buy goods and services to satisfy our wants and needs.