Lesson 1: Exploring a Community
Questions to Explore
- How do communities serve and protect the people who live in them?
- How do members of a community help meet other members' needs?
Facts and Definitions
- Rural means in the country.
- Urban means in the city.
- A three-dimensional shape stands on its own and is not flat.
- Identify and explore different communities (SS)
- Recognize goods and services provided by the community (SS)
- Describe jobs that contribute to goods and services (SS)
- Investigate features of maps (SS)
- Create simple maps (SS)
- Recognize, draw, and build three dimensional shapes: rectangular prisms, cubes, cones, and cylinders (M)
- Solve problems using spatial visualization (M)
- Listen and respond to stories read aloud (LA)
- Read and comprehend fiction (LA)
- 3 sheets of poster board
Ask your child what a community is. Ask him to describe his community.