High School 1
High School 1 Language Arts from Moving Beyond the Page will provide freshman and sophomore level students with a challenging and comprehensive language arts curriculum. Through this year long program, students will be exposed to a variety of different genres — including novels, short stories, poetry, nonfiction, drama, and informational texts. This challenging array of texts will help prepare students for future college courses and will help them develop more sophisticated ways of understanding the world. Students will also be challenged to become strong and effective writers. They will improve their mastery of writing through formal expository, comparison/contrast, and persuasive essays as well as shorter reflective and analytical assignments. They will also compose their own short story. Students are encouraged to write effectively by improving their ideas, organization, support, and word choice. They will also be challenged with two advanced grammar units that will focus on areas that give writers difficulty.
You will not find a more engaging and challenging language arts curriculum for your high school student. The nine language arts units that comprise this level will cover all of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for either a freshman or a sophomore level student. We don't stop with the CCSS, however. This is seen as a bare minimum requirement for a quality language arts curriculum. Our program also does the following:
- utilizes the 6+1 traits of writing approach,
- teaches language arts through literature,
- encourages critical thinking and creativity,
- provides opportunities for students with different learning styles, and
- engages children with authentic projects that demonstrate subject mastery.
Summary of Skills
- Able to read books and texts at a high school reading level
- Experience writing a five paragraph essay
- Usually used by students in the 9th or 10th grade
- Familiar with the conventions of poetry and short stories
- Able to understand, interpret, and apply figurative language techniques in reading and writing
- Some basic experience with creative writing