Age 6 to 8
Age 6-8 Videos
Learn more about the Age 6-8 level, see what makes it unique, and look at many of the projects you will finish over the year.
Unboxing Age 6-8
See everything that is included in the Age 6-8 Full Year Package.
The Age 6-8 level now includes reading. (learn more)
What Will Your 7-Year-Old Do This Year?
Will she read...
- fourteen picture books, a chapter book, and a book of poems;
ten books that investigate the Earth, Sun, matter, motion, life cycles and gravity;
six books that explore the geography and culture of other lands;
ten books that explore place value, measurement, addition and subtraction, shapes, time, and money;
six books that cover US history and social studies;
Will she create...
- a brochure about her community,
- a model habitat in a box,
- her own oobleck,
- a plant growing demonstration,
- a natural resource map,
- an exhibit about matter on Earth,
- a mobile about citizens in her community, and
- a creative skit about balance and motion?
Will she explore...
- the seven continents,
- the phases of the Moon,
- the use of a balance scale,
- the properties of solids and liquids,
- how heredity works,
- stories and cultures from around the world,
- famous historical American people and events, and
- an environment near her house?
Will she write...
- sentences and paragraphs about diverse topics,
- a thank-you note,
- a personal letter,
- a variety of poems,
- interview questions,
- journal entries,
- a book review, and
- creative stories?
She will do all this and more if she uses the Age 6-8 level this year.
The Age 6-8 curriculum constitutes one year of academic instruction in science, social studies, language arts, and math. All you need to add is a reading program. We will be releasing the Age 6-8 Reading Program in the early 2023.
In the 6-8 year-old curriculum, your child will explore all subject areas using a hands-on and investigative approach. Oftentimes, homeschoolers are only taught reading, writing, and math during the early years, but a truly comprehensive curriculum will expose them to science and social studies as well. These subjects can be the most engaging and exciting for a young child. The curriculum is also filled with quality literature to enjoy with your child.
- Able to read and comprehend simple picture books
- Able to write simple sentences independently
- Usually used by children in second grade
- Read short and long vowel spellings
- Recognize common blends and digraphs
- Read R-controlled vowels
- Read and comprehend simple early readers
- Write simple sentences independently
- Knows addition and subtraction facts to 10
- Understands place value to the tens
- Can add and subtract two-digit numbers
- Usually used by children in the second grade
Because all lessons are based on state and national standards, your child will learn all of the necessary skills for his age. Your child will continue to be challenged to read and write at a higher level.
Summary of Skills
The links below will take you to the Summary of Skills for each of the concepts that make up the Age 6-8 curriculum. The
Summary of Skills is a list of the state and national standards that are covered within Moving Beyond the Page. This list can be useful for your own planning purposes, but it is also quite helpful when submitting required documentation to fulfill state and local reporting requirements.
Age 6-8 Common Core Alignment
Our curriculum has excellent coverage of the Common Core standards for ELA and Math.
Moving Beyond the Page is easy to use without a formal schedule. Just finish one lesson each day from each of the subject areas, and you will finish in about the same time as a traditional school year.
If you prefer to plan your year out more explicitly, you can choose from one of the following schedules. Any of these schedules can also be used for a year-round schedule.
Age 6-8 Curriculum Samples
Our sample center now includes the first two weeks of lessons, for every subject, in every age level. All of the required literature and our incredible manipulative kits are included in our full year packages.
Unit 1: Communities Around the World
SCIENCE, SOCIAL STUDIES, AND LANGUAGE ARTS