Age 6 to 8
The Age 6-8 curriculum constitutes one year of academic instruction in science, social studies, language arts, and math. All you need to add is a reading program, and we recommend Abecedarian Level B.
In the 6-8 year-old curriculum, your child will explore all subject areas using a hands-on and investigative approach. Oftentimes, homeschoolers are only taught reading, writing, and math during the early years, but a truly comprehensive curriculum will expose them to science and social studies as well. These subjects can be the most engaging and exciting for a young child. The curriculum is also filled with quality literature to enjoy with your child.
- Able to read and comprehend simple picture books
- Able to write simple sentences independently
- Usually used by children in first or second grade
- Knows addition and subtraction facts to 10
- Understands place value to the tens
- Can add and subtract two-digit numbers
- Usually used by children in the second grade
Because all lessons are based on state and national standards, your child will learn all of the necessary skills for his age. Age 6-8 curriculum assumes that your child is able to read simple texts. Each child will continue to be challenged to read and write at a higher level.
Summary of Skills
- Age 6-8 - Concept 1: Community
- Age 6-8 - Concept 2: Relationships
- Age 6-8 - Concept 3: Culture
- Age 6-8 - Concept 4: Matter and Movement
- Age 6-8 - Concept 5: Math
What Else Do I Need?
While we do have many phonics and whole language experiences built into each unit, our curriculum does not teach the mechanics of reading. Many gifted 6-8 year old children know how to read, and there are many varying theories on how to best teach a child how to read. For these reasons we have chosen not to “teach” your child to read in our curriculum, allowing you to decide on a reading program that fits your philosophy and your child’s learning style if your child is not already reading. The best program that we have found is Abecedarian Level B.
School-Year Schedule Worksheet
This worksheet will help you plan your year for a traditional 9-month school year with four 9-week quarters and a summer break.
Year-Round Schedule Worksheet
This worksheet will help you plan your year for a year-round schedule with small breaks along the way.